If you are planning on moving home it is important to declutter. Decluttering is the process of removing unnecessary items from any room or home or place you wish to declutter.
Before removals day it is important to tidy and declutter your current home. You can sell, donate, recycle or dispose of items you don’t need. It will be cheaper and easier to move house once you have gone through the process.
- Make a plan: Tackle declutteringby making a plan. Break down your home into areas or rooms. Plan to do an area or a room a day. Only tackle one area at a time and set a completion date for each area. Plan times to work on decluttering and stick to your deadlines!
- As you work through the rooms make sure each item is in the right room. If not move it to where it should live. This will make unpacking after your removal easier.
- Question whether you use or need the item.When was the last time you used it?If it is broken will you fix it? Move all items you plan to remove to one area of your home to process.If too big,make a list of each item.
- Decide what you will do with the item:
Sell – Use carboot sales, auctions,Facebook marketplace, Gumtree or Ebayto try to sell your item.If it doesn’t sell have a strategy in reducing the price or think of another way to move it on.
Donate – Consider giving the item to charity if it holds little value or has value but you don’t want to sell it.
Give away –Give items away to friends, family or neighbours. Use websites like Freecycle or Facebook marketplace to offer it for free.
Recycle – Consider if the item and be recycled or if it’s materials can be reused. Always recycle before using the regular bin or tip.
- Take action on your decision on what you are doing with the item ASAP.Keep the declutteringprocess moving as quickly as possible.
- Repeat the process for each room or area.